on the fourth day of EDM*, my true love gave to me, irish cream for my coffee and chocolate treats.
‘Twas 12 Days before Christmas, when all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
Everyone were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums, Ganong’s Chicken bones, candy canes, Bailey’s and chocolates…
danced in our heads.
Trying to stay away from refined sugar* on my visit home may be rather challenging…
Reason #1: As soon as your cross the threshold to the Maritimes (Atlantic Canada), Bailey’s+Coffee are mandatory upon awaking Christmas morning and is required alongside every game of crib! It’s the law. I read it somewhere.
Reason #2: I’m an elf ===========>
May give these recipes a go!
- Combine all ingredients in a blender for about 1 or 2 minutes until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator and shake well before using.
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (soft or soaked in warm water beforehand for 20 minutes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Options for rolling: shredded coconut, cocoa powder
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 5 minutes, or until a thick dough is formed. You’ll need to scrape down the sides of the food processor a few times to get all the ingredients blended.
- Scoop the dough (1-2 Tbsp each) and roll into a ball with your hands.
- Coat with coconut or cocoa powder if you wish.
Makes 12 bites or balls
Nutrition per ball: 187 calories, 16g fat, 9g carbohydrates (3g fibre), 6g protein
Much love and thanks to Registered Dietician, Nicole Leblanc of Nutrition Renewal 🙂
- 1 cup smooth almond butter
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet), melted
- Place almond butter, coconut, coconut oil, honey and salt in a food processor and puree until smooth and well combined.
- Add a spoonful of the mixture into 8-10 mini muffin tins then pour melted chocolate on top of each spoonful. (no you don’t need to grease the tins)
- Place in freezer for 30+ minutes until set.
- Use a sharp knife to pop out each almond butter cup. Store in freezer and remove 5 minutes before eating to help soften the chocolate.
Cheers to lil mindful treats and sweets this holiday season!
*if you’re wondering why I’ve cut refined sugar from my diet, stayed tuned to practice darling for more in the new year!